Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A DIY Shabby Chic Scrappy Tutu {No Sew!!}

So I fell in love with this skirt from Lullaby Birds on Etsy... I blame Pinterest!! And when I decided I wanted to do a shabby chic country garden theme for little sis' first birthday... I knew I had to have one!  The problem: my hubby might shoot me if I spend $30 on a skirt for my little one AND it was just the wrong colors.  So, what was I to do but make my own!

Now, by all means, if you have tons of quilting scraps laying around, use those!  I didn't and as I mentioned before, I was after certain colors, so I made my trusty trip to JoAnns, found the first paisley print that I just fell in love with and found five other fabrics to compliment it..
I bought 1 ft. of each fabric, which was more than enough and spent less than $10.  And luckily, my girlfriend let me borrow her rottary cutter and cutting board, so this went super fast and easy!!

I measured from sis' waist to her knees and got 9".  I doubled that and added one inch for tying.
EX: Measure from waist to knee ___ X 2 + 1" = length of strips
Next I measured her waist... 18".  The way I was tying, I needed 2 strips for every one inch.
EX: Measure of waist ____ X 2 = the amount of strips needed.
We used 36 (19" X 2") strips of fabric for her tutu... she is one year old!  For older kiddos, I would probably make the strips wider along with adding the appropriate length and amount needed... possibly 3"strips?  This tutu hit just above her knees.
 You could easily use elastic for the waistband, but I chose ribbon.  I cut enough ribbon to go around her waist plus extra on each end for tying a pretty bow.  To begin adding the scraps, I used a chair and tied the ribbon to both legs of a chair to hold it tight.  I started in the middle, using a double square knot to tie the strips snugly on and worked my way out.  I had 6 strips of 6 different patterns... and because I am slightly OCD, I tied mine on in the same pattern every time.  NOT necessary at all... unless you are like me, lol!
 The entire tutu took me about 1 hour from start to finish.  I couldn't beleive how quick and easy and ADORABLE it really was!  A few pictures of the try on...

and in the cherry orchard...
and in front of the old white barn :)
Thanks for stopping in, and thanks again to Lullaby Birds for their great inspiration!

UPDATE:  See the birthday girl in action in her super cute outfit HERE!



Linking up:
 photo blogbutton_zpsb1fa0f6d.jpg



4 comments:

  1. Hi. Thanks for the info! Great work by the way! How'd you make the shirt and headband too? Would love to make my dd's little birthday outfit too : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a tutorial for the headband?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a tutorial for the headband?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This worked so well! Easy instructions and great photos! Thanks!

    Gretta Hewson
    Veritable Texas Wrongful Death

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover